Friday, July 16, 2004

Feels like Christmas

Well, it looks like that the Crimson Skies packs I've ordered from ebay just arrived today, and I have to say that it's satisfying to open a package and sift through foam peanuts in order to see six factory fresh packs all still sealed in there.

I've developed a liking for the Crimson Skies universe ever since I've heard of it. Originally a board game from FASA Corporation, it's a game based in an alternate version of the United States of 1937, with a few drastic changes. As their blurb puts it:

"The year is 1937. The United States has shattered under the weight of the Great Depression, regional Prohibition and mounting isolationism. The transcontinental railroad and the budding highway system have become useless as they now cross hostile borders. Commerce and trade leave the ground as air travel—once a national obsession—now becomes a vital lifeline connecting allied countries. Giant zeppelins crisscross the skies, carrying both passengers and cargo. It is a time of gunship diplomacy and airship piracy. It is the age of the fighter pilot and a time of daredevil adventure and sinister intrigue. It is the world of Crimson Skies…"

The game focuses primarily on pulp action and dogfights with miniatures. I'm not lucky enough to have discovered this game when it was still coming out from FASA, so I got the next best thing. It turns out that Wizkids came out with a simpler, miniatures based version, and that's the game that I picked up. Alas, it looks like Wizkids is also putting the brakes on the production on other expansions on the game (apparently it's a niche thing) so I'll have to content myself with the ones that I already have.

----

On other notes, I've been taking a few live calls already for the past two days. So far the experience has been interesting, though I don't really have all that many funny stories to relate yet. I'm pretty sure that'll come in time, once I start taking calls full time. Getting a hang of the system that we're using at work takes a bit of practice, and I find myself trying to figure out how to handle an issue as effectively as possible. My trainer wasn't kidding when she said that the work we'd be doing would be relatively complicated compared to the other accounts. We're sort of operating as part researchers, part customer care and part educators. It's not enough that we find what the hell went wrong, we have to make sure the customers don't get pissed and tell them what they have to do and what we'll be doing to fix their issues.

So far, I think I'm doing okay, but I'm pushing myself to learn how to do things faster and more efficiently. I'm planning to work my ass off all day, and apply to any and every promotion that rears it's head in my presence.

No comments: