Monday, July 05, 2004

Exalted Musings



If there's something that this picture reminds me of, it's a roleplaying game that I'm really fond of called Exalted. I'd go into detail, but rather than bore you guys, it's a game about demigods elevated by their deities to perform feats of greatness and bringing about change in the world.

The game itself styles it's heroes in a similar fashion to the Mythical heroes that we only see in books (and in very few movies, like Troy). These are individuals with incredible power, and yet possess crippling hubris and failings that can make their losses into tragedies that sweep entire nations.

While I'm a big fan of the Epic storyline and world-sweeping adventures, I also appreciate the smaller things in RPG worlds. In Exalted for example, I'm currently playing a Zenith Caste Priest King. It's my first time to play something that even remotely looks religious (even in game terms) but I find that my character spends more time trying to forge bonds in his community and fostering the love and trust of his people rather than going out and fighting the good fight.

Which is odd considering that he's fashioned to be a cross between the Rock in "the Scorpion King" and Moses from "Prince of Egypt" carrying a 5-foot long golden ceremonial warclub. You'll see once I get Nicco to scan an image of my character. :)

No comments: