Tuesday, July 05, 2005

RPG nightmares

One of the strangest things that can happen to a GM in pen and paper rpgs is to end up with a group of players which are either a) stupid or b) scary. To demonstrate take a peek at this strip from VG Cats.

In a humor oriented game, I wouldn't mind having a character using a Rat Flail as a weapon for his character, but sometimes, it just goes too far.

----

Speaking of strangeness in RPGs, I've noticed that my saturday afternoon gaming group tends to come up with strange character concepts. I'm usually okay with character concepts that stray from the norm, but it tends to bother me once people start making really, really, whacked out character concepts.

Take the Legend of the Five Rings RPG for example. My evening group is fine, we've got a good mix of characters that each have a goal and a great group dynamic going on. I'm cool with that.

My afternoon group on the other hand... has weirdness.

One character that boggles my mind is one Scorpion samurai girl who is supposed to be
Extremely attractive (character illustration not hers, but rather to stress the point of what scorpions are) but after which is made to be the samurai equivalent of Forrest Gump on crack.

Oh well. That's the way it is in RPGs. Us GMs just have to roll with the punches, and make sure that everyone has a good time. :)

1 comment:

corinne said...

mwahaha.. you should see Odile's character concept then xD