Thursday, July 21, 2005

Careful Planning

One of the things that I'm just learning to do well in GMing is planning. In my ongoing L5R tabletop campaign, things are going smoothly, and I'm happy to see that most of my players are pretty excited about what's going on.

My only problem now is coming up with situations to keep the excitement high and the pace quick. The setting for Legend of the Five Rings is pretty complicated in terms of social interaction. Samurai characters are pretty much stuck with loyalty to their Daimyo and superiors, Bushido, and their own personal feelings for a situation. Alex likened it to Fading Suns, and Vampire: the Masquerade two games who are also notorious for their rigid social structures.

So I find myself spending my idle time thinking, and plotting and planning. Admittedly, I'm a quick thinker, but I suck at planning. Insufficient attention to detail always comes back to bite me in the ass. Maybe this is my chance to curtail my habit of jumping into games half-prepared and throwing caution to the wind...

No comments: