Thursday, September 16, 2004

Hazard pay had better account for this

There's nothing quite like discussing someone's mortgage and trying to inform them that they have to pay more every month for the next year because of an increase in their taxes. There's nothing more like doing that while in the middle of an Earthquake.

It was around 3:15am this morning when it hit. We were on the 35th floor of an office building, taking calls, when the rumbling started. I ignored it at first, still too busy trying to convince the man that the company I represent isn't some evil Anime Mega-Corporation trying to steal his money when I felt the floor shaking up and down. I brushed it off as probably something in the air-conditioning.

Then I realized that we had centralized air conditioning, and that couldn't be possible. That was when the rumbling grew even more powerful, making it feel like I was standing on top of a powerful engine.

"Okay, sir. If it'll be all right with you, let's just stop a little here..."

"What?"

"We're currently experiencing an earthquake, sir."

"Oh my God!"

"It's alright sir, let me just take a look around, everything is shaking pretty badly, but we're alright so far."

"But it's an earthquake!"

"Yes sir."

"I can hear people screaming behind you!"

"That they are, sir."

"Oh God."

"Well, it seems to have stopped shaking. Now the building is starting to sway. Just allow me to catch my bearings again and we'll get right back to your Escrow."

"Wait, are you guys all right?"

"It looks like the building is still standing. I'll tell you now that it's not fun getting caught in an earthquake on the 35th floor."

"I can imagine... we're getting Hurricanes over here, but at least we've got a warning, you know?"

"Good point, Sir. At least you know now that even when there's an earthquake, we're still here to help you out with your house payments."

"Yeah... you guys should get paid for this."

The swaying part was the most annoying, it was imperceptible to everything around you except for the fact that your body somehow knew that something was terribly wrong.

Oh well. The good part about it is that it's over now and there wasn't anything severe that happened. News has it that it was about a 6 on the richter scale... pretty strong, admittedly... I'm just glad that everything is still okay.

3 comments:

Vin said...

Hi Jay! I'm glad you're alright. This is one hilarious post! Laughter IS the best medicine. Stay safe! :)

Jonette said...

Good god, Pointy! That was the best laugh I ever had in.. in.. er, two days. ^_^"

But still, is a very good laugh.

Keep it up!

Tobie said...

Consider it a very good way to snatch your clients!