Sunday, September 05, 2004

Tribute to an old man...

I'd like to take this moment to dedicate this post to the passing of my father's most competent, trusted, and opinionated mentor, the irreplacable Mr. Steve LaTorre.

Mr. LaTorre, or "Lolo Steve" as we've always known him, died early this morning from complications from a throat operation. It was the first news I got today, and one that I have difficulty coping with.

It's funny how Lolo Steve's death affected me. I rarely see him, but the times that I have had a profound effect on me. Lolo Steve was my ideal old man, when I grow old, he was the ideal that I aspired to be, successful, intelligent, sarcastic and endearing. He was a foul-mouthed old man at times, who always had something to say about anything, but past the initial shock of being subjected to his language and his unrestricted opinion, he was an intelligent and caring man.

He has always treated my father as his charge... he took my father under his wing from being a simple supervisor in a factory, and taught him the ins and outs of management. Seeing the two of them together during the parties when Lolo Steve would visit was always touching, as I felt that the two shared a bond that lasted decades. They would sit down and talk, and I'd see them, with Lolo steve with his trademark beer and cigarette, and they'd discuss anything from business to his failing health.

The sad thing about all of this was Lolo Steve had called up just yesterday, looking for my dad over the phone. I guess he somehow knew he was about to go, and just wanted to say goodbye.

4 comments:

Jonette said...

My condolences, Pointy. I'm sure your Lolo Steve's in someplace happy right now. :)

Tobie said...

Condolences.

Tonnie Seawolf said...

My condolences. May he rest in peace...

Vin said...

My condolences. Losing someone special is never easy.