Monday, October 10, 2005

La-la-lalalala, Sing a happy song...

la-la-lalalala, Bombing all day long!

There's a new advert from UNICEF showing The Smurfs village being bombed by warplanes to help in their anti-war effort.

Apparently, it was given the green light by the Smurf's creator, "Peyo".

To quote the article:

The short film pulls no punches. It opens with the Smurfs dancing, hand-in-hand, around a campfire and singing the Smurf song. Bluebirds flutter past and rabbits gambol around their familiar village of mushroom- shaped houses until, without warning, bombs begin to rain from the sky.

Tiny Smurfs scatter and run in vain from the whistling bombs, before being felled by blast waves and fiery explosions. The final scene shows a scorched and tattered Baby Smurf sobbing inconsolably, surrounded by prone Smurfs.

The final frame bears the message: "Don't let war affect the lives of children."


----

Personally, I like the ad. I don't fancy seeing the smurfs die horribly, but it does drive home the message. Besides, if Smurfs dying sends the message and stops real people from dying in war then you have my blessing to inflict genocide on as many Smurfs as you want.

----

I imagine Gargamel having a heyday after the bombing though.

"Ho-hoo! Dead Smurfs! This is my lucky day! Let's just hope that they work just as well when I make my first ingot of gold!"

No comments: