Wednesday, October 19, 2005

If I wanted violence, I'd make my own.

Things are iffy as of late. I've got a great running HERO game on at the moment centered on young adult Superheroes struggling to balance responsibility for their powers, peer pressure, school and their personal lives. The characters are slick, personable, and admittedly the most complete I've ever run for.

But not all is well in my little patch of RPG real estate. You see, despite the campaign guidelines for the game, there are still character concepts knocking at my door asking to be let in, but just don't fit

In a land where Spider-Man is the norm, the last thing I need is Spawn beside him, tearing people apart.

It won't work.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why some people are so fascinated with violence. Is it a hidden psychological hunger to see pain and suffering? Maybe.

As I said, if I wanted violence, I'd make my own. I'm a flexible GM and even if I'm running a game where cliche is part of the fun, just wait until I get into the mood to run a game where the main purpose is to stay alive.

Wait until I get to running the new World of Darkness.

No comments: