Friday, May 20, 2005

It's about damn time...

Finally, people are coming to realize that the gaming industry is going to remain stuck in it's current size if it doesn't learn to expand it's market.

As explained in this BBC article Videogames are mired by the fact that they are designed primarily for a male audience. In order for the industry to grow, they have to learn to extend their appeal to the other half of the market, the women who comprise a great portion of our population.

Few videogames exist that have unisex appeal. Sure you've got some women who play Quake, but more often than not, they're exceptions rather than the norm. Thankfully some games do exist that cater to both sexes.

One of these would be The Sims. I'm sure everyone has heard of this game, and it's often the only game that some girls I know of play at all.

Another outstanding game that fits the bill is Harvest Moon, the addictive Farm Sim that has everyone enthusiastically talking about tomatoes and turnips while some people obsess about bovine acquisition. ;)

Why am I so concerned about this? Well, for one thing, the pen and paper RPG gamer population of the Philippines is not making much headway, gender-wise. Sure there are a great gamer chicks that show up but that's 1 out of every 10 or so male gamers.

So, I'd like to hear from the gamer girls out there. What made you guys take up gaming, and what did you like/ dislike about the current situation, and how do you suppose we can improve it?

6 comments:

Scaredy-Geek said...

almost, meaning it's got ME in it. ^_~

Anonymous said...

I think the assertion that this is an all male thing is wrong. According to BW article, 38% of US videogamers are women. Not bad. In mobile gaming, the figures are even higher, just a slight male skew remains.

If only the same held true for RPGs ;)

BW article: http://www.businessweek.com/@@p@*2WoQQnEivpQsA/magazine/content/05_09/b3922094.htm

Jay Steven Anyong said...

Hey hilli,

Glad to hear that I'm wrong about Female videogamers. It would be great if the percentages are a tad higher just to boost the industry.

I totally agree about the RPG industry though, not enough female gamers are being exposed to the hobby, even if it's one that I personally feel is something they would really like. Just look at Tanukinukinuki (I feel silly typing that name :p) and yagi, they're both Gamer Girls who play pen and paper rpgs, and they took to it like fish to water. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes the thing about ooh look it's a girl! Lets treat her different. Then the focus is on you and for most that can be uncomfortable.

But you asked how I got into gaming yes? I have brothers 'nuff said.

Jay Steven Anyong said...

Good point.

I guess we men are to blame for that particular behavior. Some of us are not as socially adepts as I would like us to be, and tend to oogle, stare, fawn and generally look stupid in the presence of the opposite sex.

I'm glad you became a gamer because of your brothers though. :p I had the same effect on my younger sister

Jonette said...

Lessee...It all began with Ragnarok (as you once knew, Pointy... remember? ^_^), and from there it grew to Tantra. It really all begain because I got curious what kind of role-playing really was going on,, and from there, I got hooked. (well, that, and James. ^_^) As for the pen and paper types, James found a way to turn Super Robot Wars into that format, and along with another friend, we began playing. the whole campaign got stuck along the way due to thesis and other academic stuff, but for now, we're trying to keep the TANTRA habit alive and well. ^_^

One thing I don't like with RPG is that ... (pardon the term, but it's asking to be used) jologs are running all over the place! ill=mannered, rude, and selfish people at that. Really, nothing irritates more. That, plus other players who try to hit on you just because you're a girl, or at least because your characters' a hot-looking babe running around half-nekkid. Really.

Improvement? Simply put, manners, people. I will respect you as long as you respect me, regardless of level, xp points, zeny/rupiah, hi-level items, or sex. I will recognized the serious players because they know how to treat a lady, and that's to play fair, not namby-pamby around me with the two-handed axe or so.