Monday, March 07, 2005

Character Shticks

I've noticed that in any gaming group, the participants usually have some sort of character archetype that they adhere or default to either by choice or subconsciously. No matter how you switch the settings around, change the classes the time frame or the conditions of play, some types just bubble up to the surface.

Take me for example. I tend to gravitate towards two different archetypes. The Brick and the Talker. My characters tend to be on the higher end of the damage dealing scale, and are usually built to take a ton of punishment. However, I also frequently make characters that become the facemen of a group, using words rather than direct action to get things done.

Shticks have a good side and a bad side to them. For a lot of new players, a shtick is a great way to get started, it's a concept to wrap their heads around and to learn about the game with. It also provides them with a niche that they can dominate in, sharing in the limelight of the game.

However, taken too far, a shtick can also make lazy players. Some people tend to play the same thing every time without taking any pains to grant some sort of flavor to their characters. Rather than being interesting, they suddenly become wooden game pieces rather than actual characters.

To avoid becoming too repetetive, each character has to develop beyond the archetype, pushing to different aspects and situations, personalities and histories. You could play two mages with familiars in two fantasy games, but there's a world of customization in between.

Personally, I'm trying to move away from the shticks I'm known for so that I can challenge myself into playing something different. It might be difficult at the start, but I hope I can persevere and learn a new way of enjoying the game.

----

As a side note to this, one of my gaming groups is eager to see me try pulling off the Brooding, Silent Ninja type... the complete opposite of my other schticks. Let's see how that goes... :p

Also, what shticks do you guys find yourselves playing more often than others? Any favorite characters? Feel free to share. :)

No comments: