Friday, September 09, 2005

Street Kid Discipline

I hit a street kid on the face with my umbrella on the way home from work today.

I had just gotten off the Metro Rail Transit on the commute home, and was crossing the street using the overpass to cross the highway. I was halfway through it when I heard a woman behind me talking.

"Huwag! Ayaw ko! Ayaw ko sabi!" No! I don't want to!

I turn around to see that the dirty street kid I just passed had stopped the woman, holding up a hand to beg. She shook her head and he made a grab for the plastic cup of juice she had with her. She pulled it away and he tried another grab for it. Her protests grew more panicked and distressed as the kid pressed on.

I took my umbrella in hand (it was one of those compact folding ones) and walked up to the kid from behind. I swatted it sideways across the side of his face, grabbing his attention before pointing the umbrella at his face.

"Tama na yan!" Quit it. I told him as he stood there, a look of surprise on his face as he held his cheek. The lady walked quickly behind me and towards the elevator.

The kid continued to stare as I took a few steps back, turning around to walk down the stairs.

I have to admit that it was pretty surreal. I don't like violence, but I didn't think that harassing a lady and trying to steal her drink was worth turning a blind eye to. There was also the risk that the rest of the street kids who made the rooftops of the Rail Station their home might come to his aid if he decided to fight and attack me.

So strange.

1 comment:

Jonette said...

Lordy.

Your Bitoy story is remembered in vivid detail. but not in a bad way...

Grabe. *shakes head* You really can't help but feel ill toward street kids once one starts harrassing you and giving you sass, but I think what sinks deeper into the gut is the question: what must have they gone through to act that way?